This website suggests that it is possible to maintain your family, friends, job and social commitments and still get great results from your time at the gym – in only 3 days a week.
This first article, in a planned mini-series, takes you through the best training routines depending on how many days of the week you have available to train.
It doesn’t matter too much how many days you can train, rather, it’s a case of following the right routine & making sure that you’re the best outcome for time you’re at the gym.
While training 4 to 5 times per week may be optimal, that doesn’t mean that great results can’t be achieved in less time.
This routine has been designed for those who can only train three times a week:
The benefits, downsides and and underlying theory of this approach are listed HERE
Not sure if this is right for you, or need some assistance with getting started – speak with Abbey or one of the other Fit For Success Trainers.
- Back Squats – 3-6 sets of 2-6 reps with 80-90% 1 rep max.
- Deadlifts – 3-6 sets of 2-6 reps with 80-90% 1 rep max.
- Bench Press – 3-6 sets of 2-6 reps with 80-90% 1 rep max.
- Chin-Ups – 4 sets of 5-8 reps
- Standing Overhead Press – 4 sets of 5-8 reps
- Back Squats – 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps with 65-75% 1 rep max.
- Stiff-Legged Deadlifts – 4 sets of 8-10 reps.
- Leg Extensions superset with lying leg curls – 3 sets of 12-15 reps each, taking each set to technical failure.
- Leg Press – 4 sets of 20-25 reps, using a 2-second eccentric and pausing for 2 seconds at the bottom of each rep, before exploding up.
- Standing Calf Raises – 4 sets of 6-8 reps.
- Seated Calf Raises – 2 sets of 12-15 reps with a 3-second squeeze at the top.
- Bench Press – 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps with 65-75% 1 rep max.
- Dips – 3 sets of 6-8 reps. (Add weight if needed.)
- Barbell Row – 3 sets of 6-8 reps
- Wide Grip Pulldowns – 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Lateral Raises superset with Face Pulls – 3 sets of 12-15 reps each.
- Seated Dumbbell Curls superset with Rope Pushdowns – 3 sets of 8-10 reps each, using a 2-second negative on every rep.
- After your third set, perform a double drop set by lowering the weight 20-30%, going to failure on each, then lowering by a further 20-30% and going again.